Why not adopt domestically?

I have been ask this question several times, but today when I was asked by a good friend I didn't have a good chance to explain myself so I thought I would gather all my thoughts and express it here so I am better prepared to share our reasons in the future.

#1 We believe we are called.  I think adoption is a calling but beyond that I think adopting internationally is a calling as well.  Not all people are excited to bring a child into their family that looks different than them, speaks differently than them and are excited to embrace a new heritage and culture as part of their family identity. 

#2 We like the finality that international adoption provide.  It is truly children that have been abandoned or given up for whatever reason.

#3 We want to serve children abandoned out of poverty.  The sheer numbers of orphans in other countries due to poverty is staggering in comparison to our own country, so that is where we see the greatest need to serve from that angle. 

At the end of the day, we will do whatever God tells us.  If He say, continue on as planned...we will.  If He says adopt domestically and stop this international business..we will.  If He says, find a way to serve needy children and do not adopt...we will, I will be a little sad but I will do it. :)  All in all, it really doesn't matter how, from where or when we add to our family (although, sooner would be more fun than later in my mind), it just matters that we are obedient in the process.

Comments

therookiewife said…
The only problem with me abandoning FB is that I can't click "LIKE." Love this post, have a great weekend!
Steve Finnell said…
you are invited to follow my blog
therookiewife said…
Emily, here is the link to that blog I told you about- it is a home improvement blog, but they are also starting the process of adoption and it is so interesting! http://theletteredcottage.net/adoption/