Annie and 5Ks and Paperwork...oh my!

The Chlo has been sickly lately which reminds us once again we are not in control. Her continuing fevers of 103 mean I take her temp every 2 seconds, watch too much TV, eat too much snacky food and have cabin fever! With the new Annie out, I thought I'd let the girls see the old Annie for fun.

Apparently, in our house we can't just watch a movie--we analyze it (Kev's influence). Then, we talk--the entire time (most definitely, my influence). The themes in the movie were great to talk about--the dangers of too much alcohol, adults trying to create love by forcing children to say "I love you," and the idea that being an orphan doesn't mean you don't love or want to find your biological mommy or daddy. Not to mention the unfortunate living conditions found in some orphanages.

I wasn't anticipating those kind of discussions with the girls during and after the movie. But, they were all great conversations. I didn't get expect to get all choked up as I watched Annie grieve for her parents when she learned they were dead. I thought about the fact that there is and will always be a hole in our future child's heart that I will never be able to fill or fix. There are questions I will never be fully able to answer for him or her.

That's a tough pill to swallow, but it reminded me of the day you realize the child you have (by birth or adoption) is not your own, he or she belongs to God. His or her life is not in our control or grasp, but in his or her Creator's hands. Our broken world brings so much pain, grief and emptiness, but God's desire is not for us to remain that way. He gave us the greatest gift in Jesus. I can't wait to share that gift with our future child as we already have shared with our biological children.

Each day brings us a step closer to our child! We have some paperwork and background checks we are still waiting on, and then one portion of this journey is complete. Then we fill our more paperwork, and we wait. In the meantime, we are enjoying the precious little girls God has already given us and working on ways to raise money to bring our new little kiddo home. 

The Pirate Dash 5K is gaining new sponsors! AIM Mail Center has generously given financially and offered printing services for the race. Focus Physical Therapy is graciously sharing their space and even offering pre-race stretching with professionals in their facility. Lake Wylie Pizza and Pasta, Mahalo Salon, The Pizza Man, Adagio School of Dance, Fuzzy Peach, Theresa Williams @ Allure and Double B Graphix all have donated services, money or gifts. I was even interviewed by The Lake Wylie Pilot! We are still looking for more sponsors, so please email me if you'd like the name of your business on the back of our 5K shirt at iloveredhair@gmail.com! It's so exciting as more and more people sign up... Make sure you get your spot soon!

Recently another friend who is adopting posted a painting that said "Have the faith to get out of the boat, James 1:27." Her caption on the post was "Adoption is getting out of the boat." FOR REAL. That is what it feels like. The same night I saw that post, our Bible story with the girls was about Peter getting out of the boat to go meet Jesus on the water. That's exactly what God has asked us to do--get out of the boat, have faith and keep our eyes on Jesus.


Comments