I don't read.

Well, let me clarify... I grew up an avid reader, I loved stories about dogs (let's keep that between you and me), the classics and historical romances. Then college and grad school happened. I was just over it for a while, "a while" being approximately 15 years. I've read books here and there that piqued my interest. I've read my Bible, the usual stuff. But, lately I have a renewed excitement and desire to read. I want to read my Bible more, read books on theology, read adoption books and reread books I've already read because I have a horrible memory and can't remember why I loved them so much!

In my renewed enthusiasm, I have started a couple different reading plans in the Bible. So far so good, as I'm keeping up with most of the reading. I started a book called The Connected Child: Bringing Hope and Healing to Your Adoptive Family. It's good, or I should say "educational." Let's just say, it's not exactly a nail biter, but I'm committed to finishing it because I know it will be beneficial. It just may take me a while.

Then Friday, I ordered Kisses from Katie. It came Monday. I started reading it and I can't escape it. It's the story of a young woman who moved across the world after high school graduation to serve the people of Uganda. She is in the process of adopting 13 little girls and is the founder of a ministry, Amazima, that reaches hundreds of other children in Uganda. I read, then I cry. I've taken this book everywhere with me the past couple of days just so I can fit a chapter in whenever I get a break, which isn't as often as I would like. Today, I hung on the author's every word, and cried through Violet's dance class. This woman speaks to my soul!

Here are some of my favorite quotes so far.

"I have one purpose... that is to love." YES!
"I wrestled with God as I thought about the hurt my children had to experience in order to become a part of my family." I am currently struggling with this concept.
"Mommy to many." Do NOT let me get on Rainbow Kids. Rainbow kids is an online data base of orphans with pictures and descriptions of the children. If I had my way, they would all be in my home.
"Disease is certainly not a sin. Poverty is not a sin; it is a condition, a circumstance that allows God's work to be displayed." Once again our sole purpose in life is to bring glory to God whatever our circumstance.
"Adoption is a beautiful picture of redemption. It is the Gospel in my living room." AMEN!
"For me, fund-raising has always been about more than simply raising money, it's a means of raising awareness, and in the process hopefully changing people's hearts."

That last one is a big one. One of my favorite fundraisers so far was a Scentsy party. I spent a good 30 minutes sharing our journey and how God brought us to this place. I wasn't begging anyone for anything, I was just sharing my heart for adoption and the desire to make a dent in the 143 million orphans out there. I spoke with a friend afterward and our story had changed her. That's what this adoption journey is all about. God changing people's hearts and opening their minds.

The last quote I want to throw out there is this:

"The truth is that if only 8 percent of the Christians would care for one more child, there would not be any statistics left. This is the Truth. I have the freedom to believe it. The freedom, the opportunity to do something about it. The truth is that He loves these children just as much as he loves me and now that I know, I am responsible."

I am responsible. Kev and I are responsible. This is our calling, or job or whatever you want to call it. It is inescapable and neither of us wants to escape it. We are exactly where we want and need to be.

Comments