Superman was Adopted too!

I am teaching an ammaaazzzing bible study this semester at our church! It's called Modern Girl's Guide to Bible Study. Why is it amazing? First, the cover is hot pink--enough said. Second, Jen Hatmaker is beyond funny and I'm pretty sure she completes me. Third, the study helps you learn how to get into God's word. All crucial things!

This week during my bible study time I was in Nehemiah. Between you and me, I truly love the Old Testament, yes, sometimes it's a little harder to apply practically if you just look at the surface level. I mean, last time I checked I wasn't offering a grain sacrifice to God. But, through the stories and narratives it shows God's grace, faithfulness and patience over and over and over. Thank goodness, because I need ALL of those--often!!

Awesome cups at GNC in Rivergate!
Over this week, we studied the first two chapters of Nehemiah. In the first chapter, Nehemiah, finds out some saddening news, prays to God for help and decides to take action by speaking to the king about the matter, very superhero-like in my opinion. He sees a problem and attempts to find a way to help. The best part is he has the ultimate Superhero on his side--God. The second chapter leads right into his conversation with the king. 

The part that most of us glaze over when we are reading these two chapters is there is a gap of time between asking God for help to talk to the king and actually talking to the king, four months to be exact. In researching a little further we find there are multiple reasons for this possibility. Regardless, that's a good chunk of time when you are dealing with a situation that is making you so sad. I don't know about you but, when something is bothering me I typically do not wait four months to take action, honestly, waiting four hours is hard.

This gap showed me that Nehemiah really exercised self-control and patience--I think those are his superpowers. He waited on God and trusted God's timing, more superpowers. Those are my "super" weaknesses, I like to be IN control, so I can MAKE something happen and then I don't have to BE patient. I'm sure no one else struggles with that. :)

So, I looked up "impatient" in the dictionary. Why? Because thats MY superpower and the main thing I got from that passage of scripture. I am soooo NOT exercising self-control or patience in our adoption. Currently, I'm struggling to put down my phone for five seconds for fear I will miss "the call." I'm so impatient. It's not that I don't know what the word "impatient" means, but I needed some specifics. Here's what it said--a tendency to be quickly irritated or provoked, restlessly eager, restive, agitated, nervous anxious, tense, ill at ease, edgy, jumpy and keyed up. I'm pretty sure I identify with all the words from about "restlessly eager" on. It's why I fall apart and get choked up in Pilates class when my super awesome instructor does her devotion at the end, I'm pretty sure it's why I don't sleep well, it's the reason I stay on high alert most of the day, it's why I freak out when my phone rings and I panic when I can't find it even when no one is calling. 

Funny how a simple definition can show you the fullness of a word versus just the face value. Understanding this word really highlighted again, my lack of trust in God and His timing. Yay, for not learning the same lesson God has been teaching me this entire time. Don't forget, this is why I'm thankful for God's grace, faithfulness and patience. Even more, I discovered how impatience can negatively affect you in a physical way. It's sucking my joy and peace. 

Last week in Pilates, my awesome instructor did another devo that got me all choked up AGAIN and it was based on this verse. 

"First pay attention to me, and then relax. Now you can take it easy--you're in good hands." Proverbs 1:33 (Msg)

Better God's hands, than my own. 

Fundraiser update!
In an effort to kick off National Adoption Month in November and raise some money, we are having a Superhero Fitness Fundraiser, Saturday, November 5th from 9:30-11am at Pleasant Hills Preschool. A Beachbody coach and local YMCA instructor friend of mine has volunteered her time to do a 90 minute fitness class broken into three segments. So, you can come for all of it or just portions of the fundraiser. There will be giveaways and face painting. Rather than charge a fee for the class, we just ask for a donation when you come. If you aren't fitness-y, but would like to donate please do so at our Pure Charity website. Every bit is appreciated. So, dress up like your favorite superhero, exercise your superpowers and BE a superhero for our family and child.

Comments