Aiden's Gift

Last Saturday was Aiden, our nephew's, birthday! Today he had his party. Would you believe he asked his birthday party attenders to give money INSTEAD of birthday gifts to help his new cousin come home?

When my sister-in-law asked me a month or so ago if this was OK, I really did not have words other than "he doesn't need to do that!" She was very clear that it was his idea and he was very determined. Today, Aiden very generously handed over his birthday money to us for his new cousin! (He wants a boy!)  :)

What eight-year-old thinks like that? I am so humbled and proud to have such a kind-hearted nephew. All of us have our own areas of strengths, gifts, and the ways God has wired us to think--no particular way is better than another. But, I am very thankful for the generosity of one eight-year-old who thought more about what he could do than what he could get when it came to his birthday party. It's a lesson in kindness and generosity I think ALL of us can learn from, I know I have.

If this event doesn't kick off National Adoption Month, I don't know what does!

Comments